Friday, May 15, 2009

sad awareness

i've been listening, as many of you girls are preparing for a 20-year reunion this summer. the thought brings me back to my own, already nine years ago. i remember how crazy it was, to see everyone, and see how much that they had aged. but i also remember how great it was to see how everyone had aged. i liked the 38 year old "us's" better than the 18 year old "us's" in my class of 1980.

this past week, there was another reunion of sorts in brookings for me. those are all my classmates from bhs circa 1980. sadly, one of the most loved guys in our class passed away a little over a week ago. it seems so strange to see those men, to think of them as the boys i remembered from so long ago. where has the time gone?

thinking of doug's passing has brought back alot of high school times. well, this event, and facebook, which has brought me back in touch with quite a few folks. this year, i don't have to stress about my hair and my weight and my wrinkles, i can save that for next summer. but in the end, i see that time equals us all out on the outside, and our insides actually show through more. i know you guys will be discovering that in just a short time, too! and i'm pretty sure you'll be glad you went.

ps. doug brown was an outstanding man, he must have started young because i never remember him being anything but great. i can say this from experience, because he was one of the "popular boys" and even though i was barely visible in high school, we talked and he was extremely funny and kind and smart. he went on to be the same kind of grown up, and i'm sure our world will miss him.

5 comments:

carey said...

wow. you never said anything. very sad. it's hard to look at this photo and even think that these men are in your age group. you look light years younger than they do...and i'm not just being nice. i am very sorry to hear about your classmate, though.

is there going to be a 30th reunion next summer?

bobbione8y said...

yes, it's been on my mind alot, i found out on facebook, of course. doug actually lived in SF, was in human resources at bank first, and on the board of directors for volunteers of america. i had not seen him since college, when he and his brother had a coffee house singing duo. he was a good guy.

Karen said...

I'm sorry, Bob. Aren't you so glad that you KNOW where you're headed? Sometimes, when I'm thinking straight, I feel like time isn't going fast enough. When we get there, I don't think we'll wish we were anywhere else, not even for a minute.

Chris said...

SO sorry, Bobbi. That pic really stopped me in my tracks, and I find myself thanking God for everything and everyone he has placed in my life. We are truly blessed.

cherk said...

Bobbi-your words of honesty and love aways emphasize what is really mportant about events that bring friends together, I am sorry for the loss of your classmate.