Tuesday, May 27, 2008

rhubarb jones



since the day is grey and horrible, and since the temps are supposed to drop down to nearly unbelievable lows tonite, and since i don't want to be crabby since i just posted two days ago about gratefulness,

i am going to talk about rhubarb.

i don't know why i have never planted my own rhubarb, but every spring i start "jonesing" for it pretty bad. gotta have a rhubarb something, even if it's only once a year. usually it's not a prob because i get some from somebody somewhere. like my mom. unfortunately this year, she was stingey and didn't offer any up. my aunt in brookings did give me a little bit of hers a couple of weeks ago. and just this morning my friend lynda emailed me with an offer of more. just to be safe, however, i bought a $2 sprig on clearance, and plopped it in the ground. it'll take a few years, but then i will be sure of rhubarb in hard times. gotta think about the future :)

anyway, i made some muffins over the weekend. really, they are exactly like my grandma's "cake" recipe from way back when, only divided into muffin tins. plus, it sounds better to eat a muffin (or two) than a cake. so here you go. if someone offers you rhubarb, say "why yes, thanks."

Rhubarb Muffins

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and sugar.

In another bowl, beat the egg, stir in butter, buttermilk and vanilla.

Make a well in the dry ingredients, and add the egg mixture all at once. Stir until just blended and stir in the rhubarb.

Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins.

Topping:
Combine sugar, butter and cinnamon. Sprinkle a spoonful of topping over each muffin.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

rhubarb is aplenty here...come and get it, or I can send it with C.

Karen said...

I haven't eaten (or been offered) rhubarb since I left SD. I didn't fully appreciate it as a child, but would give someone's right arm for a bit now.

Eat one (or two) for me!

KristieLou said...

I LOVE the cold. I have started my official countdown to fall. Only 3 months to go ;)

Sunday was hot and gross and humid in Nebraska. I am so over it!

Happy fall day...

K~ said...

Hey Bob, Rick loves rubarb. I will have to try that recipe. How was your flower shopping trip?? K~

bobbione8y said...

rani! rock on girl, i'll let you know if i need anymore. perhaps it's best to depend on the kindness of others, eh?! thank you :)

karen, will do.

kris. you are nuts. sorry you were hot though.

kirst. will make rick a rhubarb dessert next time i see him. all the flowers will probably freeze tonite, better not go there :))

Karen said...

You know, I'm coming to the Hills in July or August...

carey said...

girls you have NO IDEA.

rani just dropped off rhubarb crisp from heaven. a whole pan of it.

she also brought me fresh wheat rolls, still warm from the oven.

is that rubbing it in a little too much?

yum. thanks rani.

bobbione8y said...

yes Care. that is rubbing it in a bit. thanks alot :-)