Friday, May 09, 2008

green life

i think it's kind of funny that my passion for reading has reemerged right along with the spring garden. a natural "offshoot" of that combination is the desire to read books about gardening. not necessarily how-to books, but novels about gardening and natural things.

in that vein, i thought i would share a couple favorites, in fact, i need to dig them up to reread them, because they "go" with my frame of mind right now.

Amy Stewart is kind of a modern garden warrior woman, she is a blogger and has gotten a career somehow out of garden activism, if there is such a thing. i have not read all her books, but her book "from the ground up" is the tale of her first garden. i wish i had written that book :)



"quite a year for plums" is one of my favorite books ever. i think i have blogged about it before. bailey white is an NPR commentator, and southern woman. this book is not so much about gardening, as the kind of people who garden, and their quirks and eccentricities in a small georgia town. love the cover, too.



and just this morning, i ordered a book called "the green year" from Biblio. apparently it's about a woman and her artist husband, who decide to take a whole year off and live off the land. it was written in 1956. i feel lucky i found a copy online, because the author (barbara webster) is not easy to find. one copy i found was nearly $70, but i got mine for $22. ohhhhh, can hardly wait.

if it stays rainy this weekend, i guess i know what i'll be doing :)

5 comments:

Karen said...

Sure glad those books are at not at my house. Nothing would get done, because I'm sure I could not resist. The Shack is tucked away in Bertha's backseat, and I cannot start it until bedtime tonight. I cannot. I cannot. I cannot.

18 days of school left!!

bobbione8y said...

oh, girl. you and i are going on summer vacation at exactly the same time.

woo hoo!

:)

K~ said...

I love the cover of the plum book. I think I will read that one. It looks good. Can't wait to see you. I bought 5 small plant yesterday. I thought we would go to craft stores, plant stores, knick knack stores, yarn stores, my favorite coffee shops and walk around the lake. Does this sound good to you? K~

bobbione8y said...

yes, if you add sitting with the zoo and talking to that mix :)))

SO EXCITED!
will bring my walkin' shoes too :)

K~ said...

Oh YES!! and there is also the manditory 2 hour nap from 1-3 every day!! I hope you can handle my schedule. K~