Monday, May 31, 2010

garden 'before'


what a wonderful 3 days. i had only 2 things on my agenda this weekend, to patch the roof and to relax. guess which one got accomplished?

ha. that roof project does not seem fun. but i MUST get it done next weekend. must. anne, do not laugh at me...i will eventually conquer my fear of tar, and get up there.

more importantly to us more visual folk, the garden is looking pretty swank. i did finally tackle the last leg of the meandering perennial pathway, as well as weeding and mowing in the hot sun. i might have lost a couple pounds, come to think of it! digging sod is so not fun, but the payoff at the end makes me happy. i also got the rest of the veggies planted.

2010 back forty:

11 tomatoes (mix of canning/roma/cherry)
12 peppers (sweet/salsa/habernero/cayenne)
onions (red/white)
4 hills cucumbers
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
2 pumpkins
1 butternut squash
mesculan mix lettuce
cilantro
basil
rosemary
sage
thyme
more basil
chives
mint

i went for a leisurely walk around the neighborhood tonite, and was so pleased to see several little backyard gardens. i love that folks are wanting to grow/eat the good stuff. as always, i am excited to 'put up' all of my goodies come august/september. fun, but not as fun as watching them grow all summer long :)

6 comments:

Rea said...

Cute pathway! I really want to do a paving stone pathway in my side yard to make the place look a little less vanilla subdivision and a little more like a place with personality.

And how do you fit all that stuff into your garden?!

bobbione8y said...

loretta, the garden is a little bigger than it looks, although i am pretty sure i am pushing it by planting TWO pumpkins!!!

Karen said...

I need to Google Earth the Backforty, Bob. I really, really want to see the whole thing.

I also want to thank you for your gardening inspiration. If not for you, I never would have canned or grown my own 'maters from seeds. :-)

bobbione8y said...

hey dear. welcome back...

speaking of gardens, we need some current photos of your yard! is your landscaping coming along?

Karen said...

Wow! I must have read your mind. :-)

I was really iffy about the flower bed the guy designed a month ago, so we had a different dude come out. He totally got my "no matchy-matchy" deal and designed the bwed to look kind of wild. They won't do anything for about three weeks yet, but I think it's going to be gorgeous. He also suggested that we take down some random saplings in the backyard and plant three dogwoods in their place. Gorgeous, I tell you!

bobbione8y said...

COOL :)) i can hardly wait to see the results!