Saturday, January 05, 2008

Yhwh





i am loving a new song lately. i just love this band of boys from south carolina (led by brothers bo and bear, no kidding) called need to breathe. i think more than the band, tho, is the word Yahweh. this hebrew name for the Lord is just SO wonderful to me. it makes me happy to call out to the Lord with this name. i didn't know why, so i looked it up and found this definition. so cool. apparently the vowels were added later, so the real spelling is Yhwh....

Yhwh

This designation is generally represented by its four consonants.

It was apparently regularly pronounced with its vowels until the destruction of the First Temple. But its pronunciation was avoided from the third century BCE. From then on the Hebrew word consisting of the consonants Yhwh was pronounced 'Adonay' and translated as 'the Lord' although 'Adonay' means 'my Lords'. Hence Yhwh is being translated as 'the Lord'. {1}

The true pronunciation of Yhwh was apparently 'Yahweh', meaning 'He causes to be, He brings into existence'. In the Middle Ages vowel points were added to the consonantal form of the Bible. 'Those used for Yhwh produced the form YeHoVaH and Christian scholars then introduced the name Jehovah.' {1}.

So Yhwh, regardless of how you pronounce it, means 'He causes to be'.

14 comments:

Chris said...

I love his song! I want to get their CD, but I forget who they are. Can you tell me? And thank you for sharing this blog today. I am often facsinated and confused at all the different names God has.

bobbione8y said...

they are called "need to breathe"

such a cool song! i downloaded the album yesterday, it's good :)


i knew this God name was one i especially liked, did not surprise me when i heard what it was. one of the first times i remember God speaking to me was when a lightbulb went on when i heard "I AM"....

! happy sunday chris !

Karen said...

Where did you find these guys? I really, really like their sound!

Chris--I think of the names of God as His many different character traits.

Chris said...

Character traits, hmm.I'm guess because each name means something slightly different. It is very interesting. I should start studying more. Happy Sunday to the both of you!

bobbione8y said...

all day long, all i can think about is this name Yahweh.

i want to make a tshirt that says yhwh.

or start a company called "yhwh designs"


:)

Karen said...

In Hebrew, all the letters are capitalized, so it would be

YHWH designs

SO cool, 'cause He so does. :-)

bobbione8y said...

oh, did not know that!

yeah, it just SO FITS :)))

Karen said...

Pray that I can keep these truths close to my heart. We heard today that the stupid AF might send us to Korea.

bobbione8y said...

oh. no.

i am going to have to say "not" to that!!! arrrggghh.


when?

Karen said...

Man, I hate that I have to learn this lesson over and over. I'm constantly telling God about how I trust Him and how He can send us anywhere...except, of course, Korea. Or DC. Or California. Or pretty much anywhere but here.

So, yeah. Not so much with the trusting thing.

Karen said...

Just ordered the cd!!!

Karen said...

...and I'm listening to it right now.

bobbione8y said...

let me know if you like it!

i love "looks like love"


:)

KristieLou said...

I love these guys!!!!

B. have we seen them before? They seem familiar. Oh, wait why am I asking you. You don't even remember seeing Brandon Heath :) Whenever I hear him on the radio I think of you and smile.

Anyway I have been listening to these guys all day and I am in love :)