Wednesday, January 23, 2008

work related



i don't usually talk about work stuff, so if you happen to be a client of mine, just know this is the exception to the rule :)

anywho, a couple of months ago, i did a quickie project for the american institute of architects - south dakota chapter. one of the principals of a local architecture firm is a fellow christian, and an artist, and she hit me up for the project.

i was busy and did not really have time to think too deeply about the project (a magazine layout for the group). what i DO remember, is that when it came time to get paid, i had to go downtown and speak to a nice older man named ward. he was very gracious and kind, asked me lots of questions about me, and paid me very very promptly. even left a message to make sure i got his check.

so, long story short, TODAY i finally started the layouts for the project. yeah. i'm behind. anyway, to my surprise, i just found out that the nice little man who seemed like the secretary for the group is really a VERY HUGE STAR!

ward is the man who designed these great teepees that if you have passed through south dakota, you MUST have at least noticed, if not admired. i currently possess his original drawings from 1968. wow. i am humbled. i don't know about you, but i think he must have been WAY ahead of his time, and perhaps a little crazy to suggest such a modern design for a farmer state like sd. and from the time i was very little, and headed out onto the highway on family vacations, i have thought they were very beautiful and cool.


yep. he's my new hero.

5 comments:

carey said...

you have ward.

i have shawn white, christopher reeve and that dude who runs all the marathons while pushing his son in a wheelchair.

you artists are a funny bunch, that's for sure.

Chris said...

I love the teepees!

bobbione8y said...

cmon Carey, those teepees are way cool. get on board with Stromer and i :)))

um, who is shawn white?

Karen said...

Can you get me an autograph? I have always, always loved those teepees. I wanna be a Wardee, too.

Who the heck is Shawn White?

K~ said...

I love that teepee. K~