Monday, November 27, 2006

wicked


I hate to drive. i especially hate to drive at night. and i ESPECIALLY especially hate to drive at night in bad weather. so last night as i came home from brookings, i was doin' alot of praying.

First, i prayed for the Lord to protect me. Then, to protect the deer that inevitably get run over on our little stretch of interstate on the prairie. then, as i saw the stream of lights coming from the other direction, i began praying for safe travels home for all of the cars.

i was pretty sure it was going to be an uneventful trip, until i got to the Baltic exit, just outside of SF...it was misting lightly, and i wasn't sure how slippery it was. the car in front of me (my angel?) slowed WAY down, and because i am a chicken to pass anybody i just decided to follow him along since i was close to home anyway. people started flying past us, and a huge semi truck barreled by me in the passing lane, throwing lots of water on my windshield. when i started to come out of the slush, i saw IT, and it was very much in slow motion. i saw headlights up ahead of me "bouncing" head over tail, coming across the median of the interstate from the other direction. the guy ahead of me and myself just took our feet off the gas, and slowed down to a crawl. the crazy semi driver had just made it past ahead of the "toy truck."

when i got to the truck, i saw that it was a large SUV, laying on it's side just off the left lane of the intersection. the windows were shattered and "stuff" from the truck was spilling out on the highway. i wanted to stop, but it would have been dangerous. traffic slowed WAY down, and we all crept into town at about 40 mph. i later saw the air ambulance, so i imagined that they were heading to "my" crash.

oh thank you Lord, for keeping those people alive. i heard on the news this morning that NO ONE was seriously injured! how many times we take for granted His protection around us as we go about our lives in this broken world.

now, i just need to stay at home until spring :)

1 comment:

K~ said...

Wow. That must have been scary. I bet that you were glad to be home. K~