Friday, November 03, 2006

The art of nothingness


This post is for my friend Rani, who blogged about this subject recently, and for myself as well. I found this while "haunting" some Christian blogs, I love the Hebrew meanings!

I have learned to be content regardless of circumstances (Philippians 4:11).

In Hebrew, you can’t really “have” anything. You can’t say, “I have this” or “I have that.” At best you can say, “There is to me a house” or “There is to him a car,” but you can’t “have” anything. As Messianic Jews and Gentile believers, we need to learn this lesson.

What is our inheritance here on earth as children of Abraham? Nothing. We have nothing. But having nothing is a blessing. We are not children of this world who own things. We must teach our hearts this lesson. It is the blessing of our hearts to “have nothing” to worry about, to “have nothing” to be burdened down with, to “have nothing” to be chained in bondage to, and to “have nothing” to be upset about. It’s so good to “have nothing”! It makes our burdens so much lighter.

So, as children of Abraham, we need to teach our hearts to think and speak Hebrew! We must unload and let go, taking the “my” out of our hearts and rejoicing in the wonderful freedom and blessing of “having nothing”! For to such belong the Kingdom of Heaven and the one real treasure we do possess—knowing God.

…teach my heart Hebrew and let go of my possessions and burdens.

Amen! Have a great day

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

What a great entry, Bobbi. Sure makes me think. And thanks for the Phillipians verse, I never heard that before. Living simply is so much less stress than living with all this stuff. It's such a material world, I find myself even thinking I wish I had that...but then I catch myself and look at what I do have and am thankful to God. You're right, we can't "have" anything. Thank you for putting this into perspective! I'm going to read this often and keep my mind in the right place.

Karen said...

Wonderful! Thank you. The desire for "stuff" is a constant battle for me, and I thank you for this beautiful reminder of what is truly important.