Monday, November 27, 2006

crazy grandma lady


i have never been much into recycling. for one thing, it's a pain in the butt. for another, i am pretty sure my garbage man just throws those recycle bins into the big compartment with all the other stuff, so what's the point?

which makes my latest little obsession all the weirder. i have taken to saving glass jars. you know, pickle jars and smuckers jars and stuff. i have even found that some of my candles come in very cool jars! i am also bummed that they put peanut butter in PLASTIC now, that is just stupid.

i'm pretty sure this little quirk is directly correlated to my obsession with canning. i can just imagine all the pretty little jams and jellies i'll make and you never know, maybe i can put some in these weirdly shaped jars i'm saving. memories of my grandma's "cellar" and about a thousand jars of stuff in that musty smelling place come to mind. i always sort of dreaded the jars of pickled "whatevers" that got passed around the table at christmastime. now, the memory has turned precious.

so, if you're into recycling and feel the desire to save your glass jars, just drop em off at my house :)

4 comments:

Karen said...

Will you teach me how to make jam??? I've started experimenting with baking bread...maybe we could start a business together.

bobbione8y said...

oh YEAH!

baking bread is fun too. i am less likely to sit down to a big ole jar of jam and eat the whole thing tho, so i am choosing to head in that direction until my self-discipline matures a bit :))

Susan said...

Bobbi - we've met once or twice, but I feel the need to bequeath many, many jars to you. My mom has so many and just said what should I do with those jars? The next time I make it out West, I will come bearing jars and jars and yet more jars...

Carey's Crazy Jar Collecting Friend

bobbione8y said...

Susan!

hi, i have been stalking your blog and i wondered if you even knew who i was :)) glad to "re-meet" you!

woo hoo. i love those jars, looks like YOUR family deems them important too. be careful before you give them away tho, in a couple of years you might actually WANT them back :)