Tuesday, October 03, 2006

take a designer to work day



oboy, today i have to go out of the house. i agreed to be part of a "panel" that is speaking to some college students here in town. the other three panelists all own their own agencies - including my former boss, so i am feeling kind of out of my league.

the biggest issue isn't what to say, it's what to wear. this used to be of the utmost importance to me, since it's part of my job that visual things matter. i would pore over outfits in my closet and try on clothes endlessly, searching for just the perfect look.

these days, i wipe the grape jelly off my tshirt in the morning and say "good to go."

so, on the rare occasion that i have to be with "peers" i freak out. luckily, i was busy yesterday and last night, so i just had to pull something together this morning. wha la! i hope i did okay. i still had some knee high boots and tights left over from back when i worked in an agency. i think these might still be in style?!

i'll know when i get there. the last time i spoke at this particular college campus, a student was walking into the building right ahead of me (it was late november) and she was wearing big fuzzy pink slippers. not sure what i'm in for today!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i think you look great! I haven't left my pj's in a week 'cept for a few hours on Monday...

bobbione8y said...

the ps to all of this is that one of the other panelists (a woman, of course) is about 6'1" tall, long blonde hair, had a skin-tight brown knit dress on with a 4" belt, patterned tights and $300 shoes.

i had a reason to be worried.

but darnit, i was cute.

carey said...

hahahah. i just checked this out. you rock. i bet the students thought the other panelist looked way less cool than you, miss circa target gordmans.

now the big question: what am I gonna wear when i have to go talk to these students next week? doh.

i could tell them about my summer wardrobe..."and every morning i get up and put on a swimsuit under my t-shirt and shorts because sometime during the day i'll probably head to the pool..."

tee hee.

carey said...

hahahah. i just checked this out. you rock. i bet the students thought the other panelist looked way less cool than you, miss circa target gordmans.

now the big question: what am I gonna wear when i have to go talk to these students next week? doh.

i could tell them about my summer wardrobe..."and every morning i get up and put on a swimsuit under my t-shirt and shorts because sometime during the day i'll probably head to the pool..."

tee hee.

bobbione8y said...

Care, you still look JUST LIKE THEM, regardless of the fact that your husband refers to you as a "mother of two" ;))

don't worry, you look better than your panelist buddies ever could, because you look like you have a great, advertising agencyless life!

b