Wednesday, November 14, 2007

monkey sox




today is a full-out, hands down, ALL DAY jammie day. i'm wearing my new red and brown monkey socks that kirsten gave me when she visited (which somehow i have already managed to put a hole into!), my old standby velvet stretch pants, and a long sleeved tshirt. ALL DAY. i'll be wearing this outfit if you come over. be warned.

anyway, i am very excited about this day. not that i don't ever have these kind of days, but lately i never have them during the work week. but THIS kind of day is the best part of being a designer, the cherry on top of the dessert.

see, i have a big presentation at the end of this week. it all started about 2 weeks ago when i met with a client about rebranding their company.

it was a good meeting, but not the easiest client in the world to brand. not really my kind of subject matter. so, i did what i usually do when stuff is hard to figure out. i called carey :)

ha. seriously, she is the bigger thinker of the two of us. i mostly hang with the pretty pictures, and she does the hard part. so, she went to work on it, and came up with about 10 ideas about what we could do for this client.

and i didn't really like any of them. sometimes i'm like that, which probably drives her nuts. but she KEPT thinking, and we talked, and it turned into THE BEST IDEA EVER. in my head, anyway, it's really a pretty good idea. that is what always has to happen, i have to SEE the finished project in my head. then, i get really excited about it. like right now.

E X C I T E D.

so, for the last few days i've been plugging away. finding pictures, and thinking of color palettes, and playing with fonts, and moving stuff around on the page. and finally, i think i have something i really like.

and TODAY, i will put it all together. all day. sitting here and forgetting about time, and turning the phone off (you might want to not call me til tomorrow) and making this thing a THING. the very very best part of being a designer. i HOPE that in Heaven, the Lord will still assign me projects and let me do this part. i am assuming that He will. because it really does feel like this is the thing i do better than most things, and it still brings me real, true joy to make something that sits there on a page. i know it's only work, and it doesn't define who i am, and in the end it doesn't really do a whole lot of good for the world, but i do really really LOVE this part.

and hopefully, when i show it to the person i am making it for, he will love it also. whhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeee! here's hoping for a round of jammie days for you guys too.

7 comments:

Karen said...

So cool. I love that you get to do what you love. You inspire me to do what I love, too. Today, I will sit down and write one whole chapter of the book that is swimming around in my head. I might not get started 'till midnight, so I'll definitely be wearing my jammies. :-)

Anonymous said...

wow. i so desperately want to see this THING you're working on. i think everything you do is cool, so when you label something "the best idea ever", i'm even more intrigued. and you must be excited, because you used LOTS of all-caps words in your post. ;) have a happy jammie day!

K~ said...

Working in your jammies. That's what I am doing now! K~

carey said...

i love love love delicious days like that, with nothing to do but work on a fun and exciting project. no interruptions. fuzzy jammies. purring cat. hot chocolate.

i'm halfway there today, but my project is in your hands and my purring cat happens to be a loud little boy.

trade ya.

bobbione8y said...

oh, thanks for the comments, girls.

i actually finished up at about 2:45 today, and i did eventually put real clothes on.

but those first 6 hours or so were perfect :)

DeAnn said...

After reading that, I am going to buy myself a pair of jammies!

Chris said...

Um DeAnn, you don't own jammies?;) Bobbi, I love love love that you love what you do. It really does inspire me to keep working on my dream.