Wednesday, May 12, 2010

on being a hoarder



i am starting to begin to wonder about myself. it's all because of that tv show 'hoarders.' have you seen it yet?

i guess i always knew i liked things, and when i liked them, i wanted more of the same of them... never knew until i started watching that it was actually a sickness to be this way :)

still, i'm a happy hoarder so far. i can still have people over. you can still find a pathway to the bathroom (but you might not want to go in the basement).

lately, these are the kinds of things that i am wanting to hoard.


1) rain.

kristie laughs at me on this one, but seriously people, do you know that much of the world does not have enough water? i got a rain barrel from kristie's dad last summer, but i did not get it hooked up. then, this spring, i got it hooked up and it leaked. THAT was very distressing to me, and my first clue of the hoarding kicking in. NOW the barrel is full, and the runoff is disturbing me. i want more rain barrels. hmmmmm.


2) vintage clocks.

this one has been going on for awhile. i kind of know it's a problem. i have at least 10 clocks in the kitchen alone, i only have to turn 36 degrees in any direction to see what time it is. that should be proof enough that i have a problem. thing is, i get really happy when i find a vintage clock. i feel a need to rescue them, one by one, until i have them all. hmmmmm.


3) cats.

well, i only have the one of these. but i constantly daydream (and dream at night) about having many, many more. and i stress out about this one waaaaaaaay too much. yesterday for instance, i spent nearly an hour down in the basement, disassembling the duct work because i was convinced she was stuck in there. i almost called in assistance, but then she walked out of the bedroom, yawned, and looked at me, and i realized i might have been mistaken.

sigh. i guess it'd be a good thing to not hoard cats.

9 comments:

carey said...

you are my greatest nightmare and i am yours. i am a tosser, a trasher, and a total non-saver. it pains my family greatly. i hate stuff as much as you love it.

wierd, ain't it?

Unknown said...

so you can't do babies and food on their faces but you can watch hoarders? I watched one episode about a woman who almost died because she had strapped herself to a chair in the kitchen and was living amongst piles and piles of her own feces in adult diapers.

ick, show me a dirty baby face any day...

and yes, I agree hoarding cats would not be a good thing :)

bobbione8y said...

oooooh. i did not see that episode :)

i am reminded just now that what i have been watching is called 'buried alive' on tlc....no feces so far. although last sunday, there were a couple of people who thrifted to the point of hoarding. that kind of struck home :))

carey said...

how can you guys be watching all these dumb shows. don't you know the stanley cup hockey is on every single night from now until june something or other.

yes. that was sarcasm.

Unknown said...

thrifting = hoarding is WAY TOO close to home, did you know the iphone has a garage sale finder ap?

dumb shows = I watch WAY TOO MUCH

I need a Bible study ;) for reals.

butter grosses me out worse than spaghetti...*sigh*

KMOSS said...

Bob - There is an episode about a woman that hoards pets (mostly cats). She had no idea how many she had dead or alive. Animal control wasn't very happy with her.

Why, oh why, am I so addicted to shows like that?

Karen said...

I don't know. Are you a hoarder or a collector? It seems that if your clocks each have their place on a wall, then they have been collected. If they were stuffed into overflowing boxes that lined narrow pathways throughout Mabel and prevented you having asking company to visit, those clocks might very well be hoarded.

bobbione8y said...

i think it's hip to be a hoarder.

maybe i will make myself a tshirt that says 'power hoarder' or something :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Carey. I have garage sales so that I can make money off of my tossing and trashing, and I squirm as I watch the same people come back year after year. They are filling their houses with my junk, and I'm conflicted between trying to stop them and taking their money.

I take their money because maybe, just maybe, they're a Bobbi who doesn't hoard but instead rescues and restores and sees beauty where I see clutter.

:)